Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Greek Mythology

I have now been reading the Iliad for four hours straight. It is very confusing because I know next to nothing about Greek Mythology (it was just something that my parents didn't see as very important so it got glanced over in homeschooling and since I never did like that TV show Hercules...i really have no background in it). If it was a book about Egyptian mythology however I'd be fine. Not that homeschooling covered that any more than the Greek stuff, but i watch a lot of a TV show called Stargate and it relies heavily on Egyptian mythology and me being the skeptical person that i am decided to research it myself to see if it was actually accurate (which to my delight it was!). But anyways...this book is not about Ra and Hathor but it in fact about Zeus and Achillies and other annoying Greek people. *sigh* I'm learning a lot though. And it is actually quite interesting...i mean all the gods basically do is sit up on Mt. Olympus and squabble over their family dinner while the mortals are killing each other down below. It would make a great sitcom. okay...so i must now return to the wrath of Achilles and the cunning of Odysseus so my professors don't yell at me when i get down to school without having read this book.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's too bad you were deprived like that. Greek mythology is second only to Norse for absolute coolness. I had a mythology phase at the end of elementary school where I read everything I could get my hands on from every culture, and trust me, Greek is pretty cool. I feel sorry for you...not that Iliad isn't long and convoluted, but the back story is pretty cool.

My summer reading is Perelandra, though, which is eminently more readable...but for Honors I also had to read Faust, which is not.

Zach said...

Iliad... I never like Homer myself. My sister did though. I'm sure she'd be happy to discuss it with you for hours at a time *rolls eyes*. I'm glad I didn't have any required reading before i came up here lol.

PS, yay, another post... ;)

Anonymous said...

Well, have fun. I'm praying for you. My dad went to Biola for Grad school. :)

Anonymous said...

omigosh, karyn!! that's what i brought to read on the airplane- homer!!! and you're absolutely right, they do a lot of sitting and squabbling on mt olympus. =D

~mel